Now let's talk about the barn's construction…
The barn's walls and ends have already been cut out but the window shutters were made BEFORE the walls/ends were glued together (Hinges 3). First, I made a bunch of identical 5/8"x5/8" shutters on this jig. I decided to use long pins to lock them to the wall...
Next, a second jig with an outline of the shutter and a 1/2"x1/2" "plug". (The hole serves no purpose).
Plug glued onto the jig.
On the inside trenches were ground out with a Dremel tool.
After cleaning out the pin holes, the finished shutters were inserted from the outside, their pins cut and bent into the trenches.
Trenches filled with wood putty. The inside walls were textured and painted (but no random bricks). TA DAA! The shutters aren't going to pull out from use!